Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Our Family Trek

Our extended Dean family spent last week/weekend in Wyoming- where the W stands for WINDY.  We camped out for a few nights and during the day discovered more about what the pioneers endured on their trek out west.

Here is what the boys do while camping...
 ... and here is what the girls do.
On our first day we went to Martin's Cove-a historic and sacred spot along the pioneer trail.
It is right near Devil's Gate-the split in the rock where the pioneers passed through.
We trekked along with handcarts-no we didn't dress up like pioneers but did enjoy seeing youth groups in the authentic pioneer clothes.
 
"Look Mom NO HANDS," he told me.
 This is how you quench the thirst of handcart pulling children.
After about a mile with the handcarts we set them aside and hiked up and around Martin's Cove. It was a very humbling spot to be in.  I tried to imagine exactly how those desperate and exhausted pioneers felt in such a place as they sought shelter from the early winter storms.  Many died over the next few days because of the freezing cold, exhaustion and lack of food and clothing.
 Our trekkers who made the 5 mile round trip hike to Martin's Cove.
 
When we returned from hiking around the Cove to our handcarts, a water fight broke out.  It was a good way to cool everyone off-wish I had captured a photo of that.  We took our handcarts and trekked back to the visitor's center. A new version of a familiar primary song chorus was sung most of the way. It went something like this:

 For some must push and some must RIDE
 As we go marching up the hill
 Merrily on the way we go
 Until we reach the Visitor CenterO
 The ride part of the song was a favorite for Ms M because she felt it was her duty to RIDE in the handcart.
The next day we drove to the Sixth Crossing spot near the pioneer trail. It is where the pioneers had to cross the Sweetwater River for the sixth time.

 We trekked near this spot and this time we pulled the handcarts across the river.


Crossing the river gave the kids a great opportunity for a little play time.  They LOVED playing in the water.
 
 
 
I am so grateful for this opportunity that we as a family got to experience.  It was just a small taste of what the pioneers went through as they trekked for months across the plains sacrificing so much but it helped us to better understand how difficult it was them.  They had such great faith in the church and the gospel.  I am so grateful because I was born and raised in that same church and the gospel has guided me throughout my life and has given me the peace and joy and hope that I need to make it through my trials.  I am so thankful for the example of those dedicated pioneers and what I can learn from them.