Today Dad and I did some more wandering around Downtown DC, but this time we attempted using the Metro-an underground train transportation system. It is a confusing system to understand but we managed to get where we needed to go.
Our first stop was the Capital Building.

We went on a tour of the inside of the Capital Building and it started out with us meeting our tour guide by this awesome statue of the First King of Hawaii.
This next statue is the plaster mold that was used to make the statue that is on top of the Capital. It is the Statue of Freedom and she faces East so that the sun never sets on her face.

Inside the Capital, Dad and I stood on this star which is the center of DC. It is from this point that all the streets in the city are based. Similar to how Temple Square is the center of the Salt Lake Valley.

The Rotunda is one of the most awesome places within the Capitol. This is the picture painted on the top of the domed ceiling. I can't even begin to explain everything it represents but it has to do with George Washington and different events early on in our nation's history.

Right below that picture is a mural that circles the dome that looks like it is in 3D. It is a mural painted with plaster so that it has more depth to it.
In the Rotunda there are also huge paintings of important events in the early years of our Country. Like I said it is an AWESOME room.
Our next stop was the Air and Space Museum, where there were lots of HUGE old airplanes, and warplanes hanging from the ceiling.

And also a lot of artifacts from the different trips into space our country has taken. This space suit is from when Armstrong first stepped on the moon.

In the evening, just before the sun began to set, we went to see the Washington Monument.

And the Lincoln Memorial. Which is a very respectful, peaceful place which made me reflect on what a big responsibility and honor it is to be the President of the United States.

On our walk back to our hotel, we saw the Washington Monument all lit up and reflecting off this pond. A beautiful sight.

And a nice end to our day.
I hope you are all enjoying your time with Cindy and Grandma. Your Dad and I talked today about hopefully one day bringing you all here to show you all these wonderful places.
I am grateful for the chance to be able to learn more and see more about our Country's history and to be able to share it with you each night.
Sleep well. I will blog some more tomorrow.
Love,
Mom