We arrived at the hospital and the nurses performed a test to see if I had ruptured my membranes. Sure enough I had and so plans were put into place to transfer to me to a different hospital because the one we were at didn't have an ICU for premature babies.
Because of hospital rules I had to go by ambulance to the other hospital which was about 20 minutes away. I wasn't in labour nor in any real risky condition but rules are rules and so I laid in the ambulance going regular speed all the while my hubby followed closely behind in our van.
Once at LDS Hospital I was taken straight to a Labour and Delivery Room just in case I started to go into labour. Apparently about half of the women whose membranes rupture early go into labour within 24-48 hours, so I was closely monitored. I was also given my first of two steroid shots that would help to develop my baby's premature lungs.
I was hooked up to IV's for fluids and antibiotics and had all sorts of monitors keeping track of how the baby was doing inside. After being monitored closely all through the night and into the next day I was told that I was at the hospital to stay, until I delivered.
Later that evening, I was moved to the postpartum side of the maternity section. I wanted to go home but it was against policy. Due to the risk of infection and the need to closely monitor the health of the baby I needed to be on bed rest in the hospital.
I was then told that if at 34 weeks I hadn't gone into labour on my own the doctors would induce labour and deliver the baby. At 34 weeks there is more risk to the baby being inside the womb with ruptured membranes than being outside the womb. And so I prepared mentally to be content with the situation. And my hubby became Mr. Mom.