Monday, March 21, 2011

March Always Takes Me Back

to 5 years ago when I was in my 4th pregnancy. A pregnancy that would prove to be unlike any of my others.

In November of 2005, I was 12 weeks along when I started spotting. It happened again at 14 weeks and I began to be more and more concerned about losing the baby. An ultrasound revealed that my placenta was pulling away from the uterine wall so I was put on bed rest for about a week.

In early January, the pregnancy seemed to be back to normal. We made it to the half way mark and found out that we would be having another beautiful bouncing baby BOY. But a month later there was another concern. Our baby had high levels of fluid in his ventricles leading to the need for a more specialized ultrasound to determine if he had hydrocephalus.

Results showed high levels of fluid in the ventricles but they were not abnormal levels so luckily we dodged another potential problem.

On the night of March 21st, I woke up just before midnight to use the restroom, laid back down and then almost immediately felt like I had to go again. Confused I got up and felt some fluid trickle down my leg. Not sure about what had just happened I changed my clothes and laid back down. 20 minutes later the same thing happened.

Now I was really confused and a bit concerned and so I laid down on the couch and started thinking. Could my water have just broke? I wasn't sure. But after using the restroom 2 additional times and continuing to lose excess fluid right after I was sure something wasn't right.

At 1:30 AM, I woke up my Hubby and told him what was going on and we headed to the hospital where I was supposed to deliver.

I was 30 weeks along. And I didn't know what to expect next.